by Karin Pauly
Thank You for Your Support
As we celebrate Christmas and 2019 comes to a close, I want to thank you for your support in reading the Caring for Nancy blog posts. You are an inspiration to me in your commitment to caregiving. And, when you share your kind words and stories, it fills my heart.
Take Care of Yourself This Season with These Helpful Tips
Take care of yourself over the next few weeks, and enjoy the experiences when you are able. Here are some tips you may find helpful during this season. I know I am going to try some of them:
- Take time to do something you love. It may be watching a favorite holiday movie, viewing festive lights or reading a book. Make sure you do this for yourself.
- Reset negative thoughts. Pay attention to the bad voices in your head, and actively redirect them to something positive. Seek out input to help you do this, such as listening to a favorite song or reading a passage.
- If you are the family member who seems to do most of the work, ask for help and make is specific. For example, “Will you pick up Mom on your way here?” or “Bring the dessert”.
- With intention, bring back the joy! Play a game or even splurge to buy a new one. (I purchased table-top curling to play with my adult sons). Listen to music, watch a funny movie, read a children’s book, read from a holiday joke book, or wear funny antlers.
- Keep it simple. You don’t have to cook everything, clean everything or solve every problem. It is okay to pare things down and enjoy what you have.
- Keep on with the self-care – sleep enough, drink water while you are indulging, it will help with digestion. Take breaks if you need to; go for a walk meditate in your room, or say a prayer.
Blessings to you during this holiday season. Thank you for caring!